Sunday, October 30, 2011

Happy Anniversary

Joe and I are celebrating our first anniversary today!  Although we agreed not to buy each other gifts, I decided to take this opportunity to create something sentimental for the guy I love.  My goal was to not spend any money, and to create something semi-masculine. 
I searched "anniversary gifts" on pinterest, and was initially drawn to this set of playing cards which were altered, then bound into a little book.  Each card features a different "reason why I love you". Cute, but when it comes down to it, I felt it was a little too feminine for my guy.
I decided to stick with the card/"reasons I love you" idea, but adapted it so that the finished product would create a nice pieces of wall art, rather than a book.  I started by aging a full deck of playing cards, then collaged them on the face side stating a different reason why I love Joe. Some are sentimental and some are funny, but all of them make me happy. 
Once the cards were dry and embellished I hid them throughout the house and waited for Joe to catch on. When he found the first card and figured out what I was up to a thorough search ensued. It was so much fun to watch and I think he really loved the sentiment as well as search! 
I did decide to spend some money on a frame that is big enough to display each of the 52 playing cards. I spaced them out evenly and used a straight-pin as  "hooks".  As Joe found each card throughout the day he was able to hang it it the frame and watch the collection grow!  I love the masculine appearance of this gift that is actually all about feeling and love- such a great juxtaposition. 


I'll be back tomorrow with a step-by-step tutorial on how I created this piece :)  I hope you get inspired, or try it yourself sometime. It's cheap, simple, and can be adapted to so many different occasions!

8 comments:

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

Awesome! I can't wait to see them all facing front. What a great idea.

Kathy Barrick said...

How incredibly brilliant!!!! You are too creative for words!!

Anonymous said...

That's so nice and thoughtful!

Laurie said...

Happy anniversary! That was a super wonderful idea you had. I love how you told us how you came to it. You should publish this!

Debbie said...

Happy Anniversary and congratulations! What a clevery idea!! You have some amazing ideas!!

Carmen Sutton said...

what a great idea it sounds like you had a wonderful anniversary! I need some of your energy and creative ideas.

Frances said...

So sweet! I'll bet he enjoyed his gift as much as you enjoyed making it!

Louise said...

How romantic!


Instagram

Blog Archive