Sunday, June 26, 2011

Collect: Vintage Books



When I'm antiquing I constantly find myself opening the covers of old books, hoping (with my breath held) that inside I will find line after line of old writing, hand colored images, beautiful pen and ink drawings, or beautiful text. I'd say that for ever 30 books I check out I only ever end up buying one.  Sometimes I find a book with a beautiful cover- in which case I dont care about the content, but for the most part I care more about the contents than the cover.  After all, you can't judge a book by its cover!


Yesterday, I found this book... a book with no cover!  It was inside of a large zip lock bag, and would have been very easy to miss, but like I said- I'm not one to walk by a book that could possibly have something interesting.  Once I opened the bag and had a brief look, I thought it had some interesting text and images, and was worth its $8 price tag. I though it would be a good item to offer in my shop.  


When I got home and started photographing items to list in my shop I opened up the book to photograph some of the pages, and to take a closer look. Once I started flipping through the book, I realized how incredibly beautiful this book is.  Page after page of etiquette notes, illustrations, instructions on penmanship, and notes on how to write a letter, how to write a check, and the propor way to adress an envelope, just to name some of the subjects!  Just beautiful! I'm so glad I bought this book, and can't believe it didn't see how amazing it was in the store. This book will definitely not be making its way to the shop, and I'm happy to have it in my collection. 





















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful book! You were really fortunate to find it.

Anonymous said...

What a find! I love your new book, especially all the wonderful topics inside. You did well!!!

Peggy

Marlene said...

You're right!!!
What a find!! It's beautiful and useful.


Instagram