Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Philly Recap


Im finally settling down back home, and I am so happy to be here! I have really mixed feeling about the market right now, and i hesitate to say it was a complete bust only because I met a lot of really great artists and attendees. (not buyers though, im not sure many were really there!)

I will say that financially, the market was disastrous for me. I didnt even cover half of my expenses, which just stressed me out beyond belief. I was hopeful the the economy wouldn't have such a big effect on the show, but i was dead wrong. The aisles remained pretty empty during the entire 5 days of the show, and when talkign to other exhibitors, I realized i was not the only one have a disappointing show.
i wish i could say this show didnt wear me down as much as it did, and that i could just chalk it up to a bad economy, but thats easier said than done. Especially so fresh off of a bad show. As of right now, im going to take a break from doing shows, and as soon as i fill the few orders i did receive, im also taking a break from lucite jewelry. I feel as though ive boxed myself in to this technique, and i REALLY need a break. I dont feel like an artist anymore, just a production worker. Im excited to see what develops out of this new freedom. I will still be working and creating, it will just be new and exciting work- I cant go wrong with that. Who knows when the economy will pick up again and i will be ready to do more shows, but for now im going to use this economic lull to my advantage!
I also have to say a HUGE THANK YOU too my mom, Kathy. She stayed with me through the entire show, she made me laugh, calmed me down, entertained me, and helped me work through my 5 min crying spurt in a very productive way. I couldnt have done it without you Mom, I love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this necklace you've posted. i've never seen it before!.
i know EXACTLY what you are going through. let me know if you need to talk :)

Anonymous said...

I am sorry the show sucked, your work is great, but i know how you feel about the box. I am sure you will find a great new direction.

Lori DiBacco said...

Sorry the show was tough! Love the new necklace you posted. Wishing you all kinds of good luck and looking forward to seeing what comes next. I continue to receive multiple, multiple compliments every time I wear your work! (Which is on quite a regular basis!)

alisa said...

oh, liz. i too know exactly what you're feeling. take a break. fall in love with a 17 year old vampire and reassess. it's not you or your work. i promise.


Instagram